Travel Maniac

Travel Maniac

Wild Fort of Financial Capital: Karnala Bird Sanctuary

“Life is either a great adventure or nothing”-Helen Keller

The old red coloured Maharashtra State Transport bus was stacked in the suffocating smoke and maddening traffic jam near Panvel bus depot about half an hour. I was exhausted and frustrated in this hot Mumbai morning of September. Before I regret over my decision to find a wild life close to busiest city Mumbai- I found I am not alone! I looked inside the bus. A number of people with family and kids looks like took the same decision. I wondered if all they are expecting a fresh breadth in the lap of nature just after 15 minutes from this traffic mess. Is it really going to happen? I came out of my thought as soon as the bus took a sharp turn and found the board indicating the direction of Goa. Bus was running little faster than usual possibly to recover it's late running due to traffic jam. I looked outside. It was quickly passing some roadside dhabas and wire houses with some occasional stops.

It was just another 5 minutes when I found myself amid the nature's heaven!! The green wave of hills was lashing my eyes and fresh wind was blowing through the bus window. I could not stop but gobbling the refreshing greenery of hills. The torn pieces of post monsoon blue sky were providing the perfect background of this enchanting landscape. A naked rock column was playing hide and sick with me all the way but gradually surrendered to me as we get closer. This is the landmark of Karnala sanctuary. The wood was getting deeper hinting that the bird sanctuary is not far. As soon as bus took small turn, with all my excitement I discovered the entry gate. I rushed down from the bus. A big board at the entry with road maps and pictures enhanced my thrill.  

It took another 30 seconds when the forest guard lifted the long iron bar to allow my inside. I took out my Canon Xti and start walking inside hanging her around my neck. Two monkeys jumped on the tree from the road. An unknown bird flied away with screaming from the nearby bushes. I left the usual tar road and start walking on the pebble to enter the deeper forest. I found a small stream on the way and continue walking crossing it. 

The twitting and chattering music of birds created the forest concerts with the sound of flowing water. I tried to identify the birds. It is difficult to spot them. Many shy birds were continuously flying away from me before I spot them. Somehow I managed to grab only few of them with my 300 mm zoom lens. Butterflies made surrounding colourful. They were easy to snap. I found number of crabs on the grass land hiding behind the leafs and rocks. Creepers were hanging from tall trees blocking my ways and wild flowers was stealing my attention.

It was about 2:00 pm when I felt tired and hungry. I looked around for a suitable place and found one small stream. I sat down by its side and start enjoying my lunch pack. The jungle music was continuing. When I was about to finish my lunch, the concert gets its climax with the new beats of running hoops. With great surprise I discovered a flock of spotted deer crossing the southern grassland lightening fast! It was great a moment! I was extremely excited with great joy. But there was no chance to reach to my camera for a shoot. I washed my hand and spent few more time in search of the flock.
Around 3 o'clock I decided to start returning which will take about an hour walking. Forest was getting dark quickly. Birds started returning and quarling. I reached the gate about 4:30. But I was not satisfied-some thing was missing. The rock pillar on the forest was still playing hide and seek with me. And today I have no time to reach to it. I promised myself that I'll be back soon!

It was just next Sunday morning when I got a surprise call from one of my friend, Avinash. He was waiting in his bike with a half pant and shoe at Silpchwak, just below my house. It was a cloudy day with occasional drizzling. The climate was perfect for hiking and he was decided to hike Karnala Fort. It was a great opportunity for me to fulfill my dream so soon! I immediately agreed and joined him. 
 
We parked the bike at the gate. This time it took only 20 minutes from my house to reach. We started climbing through the usual left route as shown on the guide map.  I was amazed with this beauty of Karnala. A number of school children, young stars and ladies were climbing the fort. The roots and trunks of big trees have made a beautiful pattern on the way. Big pieces of boulders have created a natural rock-garden.
 
We were not in hurry. Enjoyed number of break, laid down on the big boulders and roots. Some parts of path were narrow, steep and slippery. Interesting, we confronted with an unusual host who was nor ready to give us the way! I was afraid but clicked the snap of that big monkey! A number of colourful butterflies flying around making everything very romantic. Especially the children and young couples were extremely happy with them! I managed to click one chameleon on the green moss covered rock.
  
 It took one and half hour to climb the top. We reached the gate of the fort through a very narrow stair case of broken rocks. It was a real adventure to cross few passages inside the fort. After another 15 minutes we finally reached the top of the fort. It was wonderful aerial view of the forest. The entire forest created an amazing green canopy all around.

 All the stones were green in this post monsoon season.  I could not stop but took number of picks of the fort and forest. I loved the way forest embraced the old fort of Shivaji Maharaj. Our lunch was finished there with lot of rest, fun and photography. It was the time to climb down. Climbing down was equally difficult if not more through the steep, slippery path. We were continuously struggling to slow down holding the rocks, tree roots and tree trunks.
It was about 2 O'clock when we reached the forest tar road. There was a small shop just at the end of tar road inside the sanctuary and a small zoo nearby. We never know another surprise was waiting there for us. When we were about to finished our coffee, we heard the continuous shrilling call of a peacock. We became curious and reached to zoo. It was unforgettable experience! We saw a peacock is madly shaking its tail expanding extremely beautiful fathers circularly like a moon. This mating dance of peacock is awesome,  dramatically beautiful! This is the most charming dance of the world! 

I returned fully content-completely satisfied! But Karnala calls me again and again! I repeat my visit there. I understand love is eternal- always amazing, always wonderful-always new! One day you may find some one treaking in the jungle, listening to the birds, lost in jungle music -it may be me, may be not! You may recognize me, may be- may be, you will never recognize me! 
Peacock dance at Karnala
Note: Water, Coffee and Biscuits are available within the sanctuary. While returning to Panvel, you'll find roadside dhaba on left side of the road just outside of the bird sanctuary where the non-veg preparations are tasty and cheap. There are arrangement of picnic near the entry gate of the sanctuary.

In the entrance Gate of Karnala Fort

 
Wild Fort of Financial Capital: Karnala Bird Sanctuary Wild Fort of Financial Capital: Karnala Bird Sanctuary Reviewed by Dr. Rajib K. Sinharay on 11:44:00 AM Rating: 5

6 comments:

  1. Daruun Rajibda..very good narration !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!!!!! great work!!!!
    chameleon was just perfect and the peacock was breath-taking.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt i have reached heaven by your narration and photographs! Thanks for a wonderful journey through your write-up and photoes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great work....hope to see more from you

    ReplyDelete

The pictures posted here are copyrighted so please don't copy and use it in any form. Powered by Blogger.